Recently, the City announced its desire to rename several parks throughout Seattle. One of those was the Lincoln Park Annex, where the tennis courts and P-Patch are located. Located across from the north side of Lincoln Park on Fauntleroy Way SW, the land for Solstice Park was purchased by the City in 1922. The 7.5-acre property remained undeveloped until 1964 when Seattle Parks and Recreation built the first phase, the tennis courts on site. After a series of landslides, the City, in the mid 1980s, built a berm and deposited thousands of cubic yards of fill. A 2002 project funded by the Pro Parks Levy built an overlook and stairs on site. In 2003, a community P-Patch was added on site. "Solstice" was chosen for the design feature of the park that aligns three pathways leading to a viewpoint overlooking Puget Sound with the solstices and equinox. Depending on the season of the celestial event, the sun will set on a granite marker that ends at each of the pathways.
As part of this naming process, the park's tennis courts were named Bob Booth Tennis Courts at Solstice Park in honor of the late Mr. Booth, who made significant contributions to the park site and the tennis community.
- Category: Bulletins
- Written by Cindi Barker
- Hits: 6253