Seattle Public Utilities has published the final supplemental environmental impact statement (FSEIS) on the City of Seattle's proposed solid waste intermodal transfer facility. The development of an intermodal transfer facility would allow the City to coordinate the transfer of wastes using a combination of transportation modes (such as truck, rail, and barge) to ensure that the city has the ability to transfer solid waste out of the city.
This FSEIS identifies impacts resulting from the construction and operation of the proposed solid waste intermodal transfer facility at four alternative sites. The four alternative sites are:
* A facility at Terminal 10 on Harbor Island;
* A facility at Terminal 10 and the adjacent Pendleton site on Harbor Island;
* A facility on property between South Corgiat Drive and Airport Way South south of South Albro Street;
* A facility on property in the southwest quadrant of the intersection of South Edmunds Street and Airport Way South.
The FSEIS also evaluates the no-action alternative. In addition, the FSEIS includes comments on the Draft SEIS provided by agencies, the public, and other interested parties, along with SPU's responses to those comments.
The FSEIS found that there are no significant adverse unavoidable environmental impacts associated with any of the alternatives, except for the no-action alternative. The FSEIS does not present a preferred alternative. Seattle Public Utilities is still evaluating costs, rail issues, flexibility, and other factors that will help the city determine the most suitable site. It is expected that SPU will select a site some time in 2006. There will be additional public comment opportunities in the future during City Council review and adoption of a site for the solid waste intermodal transfer facility.
Copies of the FSEIS are available on compact disc (CD) and can be obtained by contacting Barbara Orr at (206) 386-4567 or can be reviewed at the following locations:
* The project website at: www.seattle.gov/util/About_SPU;
* Seattle Public Library: Central (Downtown), Ballard, Beacon Hill, Columbia, Delridge, Fremont, Wallingford, and West Seattle;
* Neighborhood Service Centers: Delridge, Fremont, Greater Duwamish, and West Seattle.
- Category: Bulletins
- Written by Cindi Barker
- Hits: 3621