- Category: 2017 Festival
- Written by Cindi Barker
- Hits: 427
7:00 Welcome and Introductions – Deb Barker welcomed all and introduced the MoCA Board.
7:02District 8 Candidate Introduction(s) - No candidates showed from Dist 8.
7:10 Morgan Minute Updates
SW District Council – Tamsen gave an outbrief on City-wide Street projects approved under new city funding program Our new SW sector Department of Neighborhood community representative is, Yun Pitre.
SW Precinct Advisory Group – Deb read Phil’s report. SW precinct has lowered repeat offender’s crime rate. The SPD is Asking for even more neighbors to keep an eye on each others’ homes. Store robbing is up though, so be alert.
Upcoming Events for Morgan Junction Businesses – A “Spring Fling” is on May 11, 5:30-7:30, featuring champagne and small bites at Morgan Junction’s Limber Yoga, The Skin Butik, Third Stone Massage, The Bridge and West Seattle Wine Sellers.
7:15SPECIAL FOCUS – Morgan Junction Response to MHA Proposals
Deb gave an overview of City’s MHA proposals for Urban Villages to date, noting Morgan Junction’s ongoing participation and upcoming MHA meetings and deadlines (see handout). She said that MoCA is concerned that our input is not being incorporated into MHA process. We sent a comment letter to the City in January detailing several conflicts between our Neighborhood Plan and MHA proposals. We participated in the March 7 Morgan Junction MHA workshop, where we were told by city staff that our Neighborhood Plan was outdated and not relevant. On March 27, we received communication from the City that did not speak to our concerns but instead encouraged attendance at the May 6 MHA open house.
Deb noted that the City has extended the MHA map comment deadline to June 7. Andra Kranzler with CM Herbold’s office stated that the draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) will be released in mid-May with a 45-day comment period, and the final EIS is still planned for June 30. When asked why City MHA responses to our March 7 workshop comments have yet to be made available, Andra advised that they had been uploaded this week. Deb confirmed that when the City workshop responses are produced, MoCA will publicize it in their newsletter.
The big question for Morgan Junction is will the City update their Comprehensive Plan so it’s not in conflict with our Neighborhood Plan, or will Morgan Junction have to take other action. Deb listed some possible “next steps” from amending the Morgan Junction Comprehensive Plan element to legal action. Joe commented that we should probably hire legal representation now - in case of need later. Phil replied that we are waiting for the right moment as other Urban Villages are contemplating legal action, and MoCA is watching to see what happens there. Cindi commented that some developers are also already planning to sue.
It was stated that a Comprehensive Plan amendment is a public process. Any amendment to the Comprehensive Plan has to go back in front of the full City Council in a public hearing. Two options for amendment outlined were (1) Amend the Morgan Junction plan element to clarify and confirm that identified Morgan Junction Housing and Land Use Policies remain in place until their conflict with MHA recommendations is resolved in a neighborhood planning process, or (2) Amend threatened Seattle municipal code language that addresses Single Family Zone discrepancies (SMC 23.34.010) and protects Urban Village planning. Cindi and Deb favor #1.
Eldon requested that we show the City that we are already poised to incorporate more low-income housing better than the MHA is proposing.
It was moved and seconded to send a letter to City Council and the Mayor expressing frustration and displeasure with the dismissal of our Neighborhood Plan as a valid document.
Discussion on the motion began and included:
The need to ensure that City Staff and Council are aware of our concern that MHA is creating conflicts with our plan, which was created with extensive public engagement and was forward thinking when written. It was suggested that the letter request a commitment to enter into a full neighborhood planning process and have a budget commitment as well. This will allow more specific discussion about the potential single family zoning transformation and displacement and also allow Morgan Junction to address businesses displacement as part of the process.
Cindi suggested to also add a funding ask in the Oct. Council budget deliberations for Neighborhood Planning.
A meeting attendee asked if the City considered the impact of small businesses losing their locations due to raised rents. Cindi said that was an issue with the recent University District Urban Village Upzone process, and the City is starting to address this. Susan said that we need more detail on Commercial policies, not just goals. There are 107 businesses within 6 blocks of Morgan Junction, and it is important to protect small businesses as well as SF households. Aundra asked if MoCA participated in the Neighborhood Plan ‘status update’ several years ago. Cindi said yes, but the City was elusive about the status of projects.
Comprehensive plan amendments proposal was then added to the motion which was restated by the original motion makers:
It was moved and seconded to support submitting Comprehensive Plan Amendments which strengthen wording that no changes to our existing plan policies related to MHA proposed changes be taken until a full planning process with the Morgan Junction Neighborhood be completed, that the proposed Comprehensive Plan Amendments also be sent to the Mayor and City Council with a letter expressing frustration and displeasure at the dismissal of our neighborhood plan as a valid document and asking for a commitment to enter into a Morgan Junction neighborhood planning process, and have a budget commitment for that process as well. This motion passed unanimously.
8:00 Old Business
Morgan Junction Festival – June 17, 2017Phil briefed. The planning committee has held three meetings, and minutes are recorded and shared online. He talked about schedule and bands. Several food carts are signed up. The Spatter of Morgan setting up again. Deb & Cindi will approach Cal-Mor to provide hires for tear-down. We still need a Bark of Morgan Pet Parade and contest leader/MC.
Murray CSO Opening - soon! - As reported by King County Staff, the Landscaping is complete; opening end of April. Fencing will remain around new grass. Party and tours in early-June.
Morgan Junction Mural – Phil discussed a proposed mural restoration by Bob Henry. Dan at Peel & Press contacted him, and he’s got a process he can do for about $10K. This would include a final UV finish that also is graffiti repellant. Funding opportunities are being clarified.
Planning Committee for Morgan Junction Park Expansion – Deb said that while Seattle Parks planning starts in 2018, the group is talking now about what Morgan Junction would like the park expansion to include. We will have Parks staffer Kathleen Connor to our next meeting - which has not been scheduled.
Greenways Location Decision Due – Cindi reports that the route is still not decided. Dept of Neighborhoods will be doing outreach about this topic at local coffee shops http://www.seattle.gov/parks/about-us/current-projects/greenways-initiative .
Lowman Beach Park Seawall– Deb reports that repair research is complete, and that Parks has set a Meeting for May 31 at Hall of Fauntleroy to discuss options.
8:30 New Business
MoCA Incorporation Discussion, Eldon shared a handout (attached) to report that MoCA is not incorporated or a 501(c)3 organization. He proposed to form as a 501(c)3, so that MoCA has a tax status than enables us to switch to a local bank, and so that MoCA can accept donations which run the Festival, among other benefits. He proposed the MoCA Board study the process and bring a proposal to the October meeting. It was moved and seconded that the Morgan Junction Community Association seek incorporation with the State of Washington and on that basis, make application for 501(c)3 Non-Profit status. Motion passed with one abstention.
Friends of Lincoln Park (FoLP) presentation, Sharon Baker
Sharon is a volunteer forester. Parks and Forterra have come up with a 20 year plan to restore Seattle forest conifers. FoLP is a part of this Green Seattle Partnership (http://www.greenseattle.org/). FoLP works twice/month to pull invasive ivy and blackberry. She asked for volunteers; sign up info is on handout, which will be attached to these minutes posted on the website. She said she would lead a nature walk in June to see the Phantom Orchids. She can provide a plant list for the park.
Cal-Mor Resident Council, Cindi and Deb will be meeting with them on May 17 for discussion about help at the Morgan Festival and how to work together with them on issues in Morgan Junction that affect their residents.
Age Friendly City Initiative (AFCI), Irene Stewart
She’s the new Project Manager for the Age-FCI. Handouts include single flyer (Age-Friendly Seattle), King County Transportation (from the Mobility Commission) and Help-Line number, will be attached to these minutes posted on the website. Goals: improve pedestrian friendly infrastructure, (we have 19 pedestrian deaths/year, but Denver has 60!). Metro has an over-65 card that is about 30% discount (RRFP). Lifelong Recreation is a pioneering program that others have copied. A new dementia-friendly recreation program is starting this year. Utility and tax reductions are available. Diane: we need senior training for jobs. Many seniors are being displaced because they can’t afford their rents with minimum wage jobs.
Fauntleroy - Ferry Task Force and School Birthday,
Deb shared that the 100- year birthday party will be on May 1 at 11:30 at the Fauntleroy Schoolhouse. Ferry triangle improvement report: see WS Blog…progress happening on goals.
Report on Your Voice/Your Choice - Natalie reported that the City has narrowed down to 70 projects being considered, none of them are in Morgan Junction. She offered a handout of info and website link (http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/programs-and-services/your-voice-your-choice).
The meeting adjourned at 9pm
Save the date – June 17, 2017
Morgan Junction Community Festival at Morgan Junction Park
Next MoCA meeting:
Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 7:00pm,
The Kenney, 7125 Fauntleroy Way SW
Welcome and Introductions – Performed by Phil. Board members present: Phil, Cindi, Tamsen, Eldon and Natalie.
Elections - The Slate of Officers presented was approved: President – Deb Barker, Vice President – Phillip Tavel, Treasurer – Eldon Olson, Secretary – Natalie Williams, Community Information – Cindi Barker, SW District Council Representative – Tamsen Spengler.
Morgan Minute Updates
Morgan Junction Mural status – yes it’s in work; more details at April meeting.
Morgan Park Expansion Planning Committee Upcoming Meeting on Feb. 20 – time and place
will be posted on the MoCA website. (Confirmed, Feb 20, 7:00 pm, Café Ladro)
Highpoint Library Upgrades-Community Celebration for reopen: Sun. Jan 29 1- 3 – announced.
Lowman Beach Park status – it is unknown yet if the sea wall will have to be moved; more details in April.
35th Ave Status – Cindi read the below SDOT letter about Greenway planning in work, and
asked folks to comment during Phase 2: The Seattle Department of Transportation has been doing outreach inWest Seattle since summer 2016, including attending public meetings, hosting an online survey, and mailing materials. We asked community members where they wanted the greenway route to go north-south in the neighborhood roughly parallel to35thAve SW.We heard from hundreds of people and have now closed our first phase of outreach. Over the next few months, we’ll be looking at data, citywide plans, and what we heard from community members to come up with a most promising route. We’ll then share the most promising route withWest Seattlefor phase 2 of outreach so we can learn what people think about the proposal. The greenway is scheduled to be built in 2019. More info is athttp://www.seattle.gov/transportation/WSeattleGreenway.htm.
MHA/HALA Workshop for Morgan – moving out to probably Feb. Will be announced on MoCA website as well as in local media.
SW District Council News – Tamsen reported that the Council is still meeting although funding
has been pulled. The by-laws are being updated to reflect this, and are still evolving.
-The City is starting a cycle for funding Neighborhood Parks and Street Fund projects, this year called “Your Voice, Your Choice”. $90K per project is available. The city will use Participative Budgeting’, that is, candidate projects can be proposed by anyone through a variety of means, downselected by a committee and the top project will be voted on by all citizens by email,. Projects are to be capital improvements in parks or streets rights of way and include things like sidewalks, crosswalks, parks playground equipment and other infrastructure additions. The application form is not yet available on the City website and more details will be available when the cycle kicks off.
Murray CSO Update – Kelly (and Sophie) presented this King County pilot project status and
some background. She reviewed the combined rain and sewer system of West Seattle, and reported that the one million gallon storage tank was tested successfully. Overflow will go to the Magnolia treatment facility. Landscape is almost complete, and the public gate will open then. The west fence will remain until everything is completed. An attendee asked if it could be moved off the sidewalk, onto the dirt, to allow safer pedestrian and bicycle use. Kelly said she would ask. Chas noted that this pilot project was a good example of ‘green’ infrastructure; kudos to the County. Another attendee asked how much does this plant reduce of overflow (dumping into the Sound)? Kelly said that analysis shows we’ll be down to one ‘event’ from three per year.
SW Precinct Advisory Group – Phil reported that there are four new bicycle cops this year, and
reminded all to be alert for package and property theft. Last month police tailed delivery trucks, and thwarted a number of thefts, resulting in at least two arrests. Car prowl is still a problem. Since heroin use is up, petty theft is up. Don’t leave even a sweater in your car, and call 911 if you see ANY and all suspicious activity.
Morgan Junction Festival – It’s June 17, 2017 this year, and we while we have a great committee covering our operating plan, we still need a volunteer coordinator. More info is on the website. Let any Board member know if you’re available.
2035 Comp Plan/MJ Urban Village Housing Targets – Cindi reviewed that many other city
neighborhood plans were updated, but ours wasn’t. The city considered those plans ‘good for 20 years’, so now it’s time to update. We agree, but want some say in the update. Our growth estimate was 220 units in those 20 years, and is 400 for the next. Current capacity is 447 units. The HALA proposed target is 587, and does not guarantee that any of it will be ‘Affordable’. One attendee asked how to get this information and Cindi will post links to our Neighborhood Plan and the Comprehensive Plan on our website.
New Morgan Development - there was a request for MoCA to somehow track all new development happening in the Morgan Junction Urban Village. That would be so people could know when the comment period is for new construction in their area. While there are tools for this, our current volunteers do not have the capacity to keep up with tracking and posting or otherwise putting out the information as public. If someone has ideas and wants to try doing this, please contact Cindi.
MHA in Morgan Junction – MoCA is the steward of the Morgan Junction Neighborhood Plan. Consistent with our role as stewards, we perform a review of any new, major City proposals which would affect the Morgan Junction Urban Village (MJUV). The board reviewed the Mandatory Housing Affordability program rezoning of Morgan Junction, as we understand it, and provided a summary letter reviewing how our plan supports or does not support the proposed changes. Phil described the layout of our response letter, and how to note our comments in the right column. One attendee asked if we could expect a fair resolution based on the city’s interaction to our plan from the ‘90’s. We were non-committal, but noted that these changes seem to violate other neighborhood plans as well, including Alaska Junctions. The response letter was put to a vote of acclamation. The majority voted ‘Yay’, with one ‘Nay’, and 2 abstentions.
Link to letter sent here
MHA and HALA Next Steps – Cindi announced that the city plans a ‘Workshop’ which would be different than the one at Shelby’s, but not a date or location. At this workshop, we would have a presentation and break out into tables for facilitated discussion about the proposed changes. She noted that all comments and any resulting changes are supposed to be considered for the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). An attendee asked if the city did the promised mitigation for the last EIS. Cindi referred her to the city “wayback machine” archives to dig through. There was discussion and consternation about water and sewer and traffic infrastructure impacts. Another concern was lack of commitment by the city to put the Affordable Housing in the village that generated the fees. Cindi noted that there is a ‘Citizen Initiative’ about impact fees in work. One attendee noted that the upzone on the maps “looks like a lot more than 589 units”, and asked why would it go up more than one floor when that’s not what we agreed? Cindi reminded everyone to write down their questions and concerns, and bring them to the Workshop sponsored by Councilman Johnson. Cindi also invited anyone inspired by this issue to join the Board as a ‘land use focal’. Phil asked everyone to talk to their neighbors about this, and generate interest. He noted we may have another meeting in 6 weeks (March 1 timeframe) to build consensus.
Adjournment – Handouts:
Next MoCA meeting:
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 7:00pm, The Kenney
Monday, March 6, 6:00pm – 9:00 pm. The Hall at Fauntleroy, 9131 California Ave SW
From CM Rob Johnson’s office:
Thank you for your patience. The Morgan Junction Urban Village Community Design Workshop has been rescheduled for Monday, March 6th from 6:00PM to 9:00PM at the Hall at Fauntleroy, 9131 California Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98136. Please bring a neighbor or a friend to join the conversation. RSVP is not required to participate in the workshop but does give priority for facilitated working groups as well as assist our team in planning for staffing, room set up, and resources.
In addition to attending the workshop, you can also provide comment and engage with what others are saying at https://hala.consider.it/. Some of those who have RSVPed have already commented. For those who have not, it does not take too long to create an account (see attached at the very bottom of this newsletter). Please add your voice to the conversation.
King County Property Tax Programs for Exemptions and Deferrals
Weekly Wonk - About the Mandatory Housing Affordability (MHA) Program
Principles for MHA Implementation
Weekly Wonk-About Zoning
HALA Hotline:Call (206) 743-6612
How to read the draft zoning maps
For more information on the draft MHA maps and other HALA strategies please visit http://www.seattle.gov/hala
I look forward to seeing you and your neighbors in early March.
All the best,
Legislative Assistant to Councilmember Johnson-District 4
O: (206) 684-8808
C: (206) 384-2709